Monday, September 19, 2005

Updates

Alright, first off, my father is in recovery. He's at the stage where he can walk for a little while, but he's in and out of sleep most of the time, and if he has a coughing fit, he's exhausted for an hour or two. He may be discharged on Friday, but it will be awhile before he returns to work, etc. Thanks to everyone who wrote in. When I wrote about the whole ordeal Thursday night, I just needed to get stuff out, the fact that people wrote with their prayers was just a bonus. Thanks all.

***********

I may have seen the greatest commercial ever this weekend. It was for some Richmond based auto mechanic called "Tuffy Mufflers" I believe. I will attempt to describe this.

"Feminie singers"...Tuffy Mufflers...
Meet TUFFY!!!

At this point, an older man turns to the screen, arms crossed in defiance of your mechanical problems. With the singers extolling his virtues in the background, we see an array of shots where Tuffy diagnoses and shows younger mechanics how to fix mufflers.

"MEET SUFFY"
(Okay, it could have ben Sophie, or another name, but it sounded like Suffy)

At this point, we have an older blond lady, presumably Tuffy's wife, and shots of her greeting customers, working the register, and flashing a 1000 watt smile.

"Tuffy can handle cars of all shapes and sizes"

I was already laughing, but at this point, they showed a small child, presumably eight or nine, with his mouth wide open in a scream as he drove a go-kart through a pile of cardboard boxes, toppling them on top of himself. Tuffy looks on, his mouth wide open in shock/surprise. If there was any more to the commercial, I didn't see it, my eyes were full of tears.

**********

On a sports note, I really hate the football re-capper, Tommy Tyge, for SportsTalk 980. I was listening to his recaps driving home yesterday, and here was a sampling of what I heard.

"The Cleveland offense didn't suffer a Brown-Out"

"The (insert team) re-financed the Bills."

Seriously, did you just use "re-finance" as a victory term. This man needs to be put at the bottom of a homemade well and made to rub lotion on his skin multiple times a day. "Come here Precious..."

***********

Big night tonight. Any and all sports fans, I gather that there will be some sort of pre-gaming in Merrifield, near to where the Sports Pad is located. Ask I-66 for details, I will be unable to attend. Cowboys fans are not allowed however, sorry PIP. I'll be watching the first half of the game from the hospital, and dealing with Stepmom, who is a Cowboys fan. I knew I had a sense of dread when my Dad was getting married.

7 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

Wait, seriously? She's a Cowboys fan? And we let her in our house?

Mon Sep 19, 06:35:00 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Good to hear, Capt. and thanks for the update.

The only way that commercial could be better is if the boxes burst into flames, and Tuffy had to rush over and extinguish the fire.

Mon Sep 19, 07:19:00 PM  
Blogger GwenMarieDC said...

Glad your dad is feeling better.

Mon Sep 19, 07:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto PIP...glad your dad is better.

Mon Sep 19, 09:58:00 PM  
Blogger DCSportsChick said...

Glad to hear about your dad! That's encouraging!

Tue Sep 20, 09:01:00 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

Hope your dad is feeling better Captain.

Tue Sep 20, 09:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tommy Tyge is one of the best NFL studio hosts out there. Don't hate on him just because he isn't one of the normal, boring cookie-cutter personalities.

Sun Dec 03, 01:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home