Monday, September 26, 2005

"The S.O." has become "The Fiancee"

With all the unfortunate news that has happened recently, it was time for something good to happen over here at D.C. Sports, and that time was Saturday, around 5:00 p.m. at National Cathedral.

On September 24th, I asked "The S.O." to become "The Fiancee" and eventually "Mrs. Captain.." I daresay she would hate all of these names, but then again, she doesn't know about this blog, so I can get away with it.

The day was overcast, but that didn't matter. Thanks to a suggestion from some inside sources, the Bishop's Garden was where it took place. For anyone who hasn't been, I'd suggest visiting the Cathedral and garden. Even if you aren't religious, it's a beautiful structure.

Anyway, enough of that. The basic rundown, because I people always ask. It was a yellow (canary/champagne) diamond measuring in at 1.03 carats. The price is none of your business :). Oh, and most importantly, she did say yes, and she was both surprised and caught off guard, exactly as planned.

And so it is done. I know I've set myself up for many months of nagging and planning, both things I'm not all that high on doing, but the positives far outweight the negatives. Pictures will be up later, blogger isn't letting me update for some reason. Check back for those tonight.

I hope everyone else's weekend was memorable as well. I now owe a few "inside sources" a drink.

***Pictures added***


The National Cathedral, where it took place. Awe inspiring.


Another view of the Cathedral, taken from the Bishop Garden.


A picture of the ring. Unfortunately, the more I zoomed in, the blurrier it got. This was the best I could do.


A slightly modified picture of "The Fiancee." Due to the fact that she is unaware of this blog, I could not obtain permission to put her face on-line. We'll call this age progression, like the police do for missing children. This is "The Fiancee" aged ten years.

We also have many pictures of black squirrels. She had never seen one, and couldn't stop taking pictures of them. I will spare you of those, however.

16 Comments:

Blogger GwenMarieDC said...

Congrats Cap'N! I'm so happy for you. And the Bishop's Garden was a GREAT choice.

I-66 are you taking notes? Except I want a pink diamond...CR and BL can help you.

Mon Sep 26, 12:56:00 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Congratulations! I followed a similar plan when I got engaged to Mrs. Phil (St Patrick's in NY)- good choice!

Marriage is hard work, but very rewarding. Nothing worth having is easy!

Mon Sep 26, 02:01:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

I can see it already...






Best. Bachelor Party. Ever.

Mon Sep 26, 02:05:00 PM  
Blogger A Unique Alias said...

Damn, boy! Way to go :-D

Mon Sep 26, 02:43:00 PM  
Blogger Miss Penny Lane said...

Woo-hoo!!! OMG, I have chills. I love the Bishop's Garden. The Artist Formerly Known as the Chef took me there late one night when we were first dating. It is gorgeous, and relatively unknown. My family gets together there for picnics every now and then, too.

CONGRATULATIONS! And don't worry too much about the nagging. Just nod and smile and let her do everything her way. OH, and keep the families out of the planning process as much as possible. All the fights that occurred when I was planning the wedding were about his parents insisting that things be a certain way for OUR wedding. Needless to say, I am glad they ain't my in-laws no more...

Mon Sep 26, 02:58:00 PM  
Blogger DCSportsChick said...

All right! Congrats!

Mon Sep 26, 03:28:00 PM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

Congrats! And thanks for sharing with us!

Mon Sep 26, 04:34:00 PM  
Blogger The Senator said...

Congratulations, Capt'n. Huge accomplishment...

Mon Sep 26, 04:46:00 PM  
Blogger The BLS said...

Congratulations! It sounded like a great proposal.

Mon Sep 26, 06:27:00 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

canary yellow...1.03 carat... you done good kid. congrats!

oh p.s. - don't you think it's time you tell her about the blog??

Mon Sep 26, 07:50:00 PM  
Blogger The Captain said...

Thanks all, it should be a fun time. I'm just trying to slow everything down in my head, she's not cooperating.

I-66, the bachelor party I'm sure will come up in discussion. I'm pretty sure she'll be more accomodating than the last bride our group dealt with, but I may want to keep it reasonable.

MPL, don't forget I owe you and The Artist whenever we get a chance to meet up.

The BLS is one I don't recognize, I'll need to check that one out.

VP, Canary or champagne, are those the same thing? It's was that color though. I did get the size right, that I'm sure of.

Phil...sage advice. How many of the Playaz are married? Specifically, is Bon married? Because he looks kind of crazy, and I have a hard time imagining any woman that could revel in the slaughter of Canadian Geese. Maybe D.C. Cookie would be a good match for Bon.

Mon Sep 26, 08:32:00 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Believe it or not: All Playaz married.

I can assure you each of our wives merely tolerate our existence, and certainly don't condone it.

Mon Sep 26, 09:09:00 PM  
Blogger truk said...

Damn, that sounds like an idea I might come up with....

Tue Sep 27, 03:05:00 AM  
Blogger Miss Penny Lane said...

What are ya saying, Chef?? ;)

Captain--you aren't supposed to start keeping such big things from your SO until after you're married...

Tue Sep 27, 02:44:00 PM  
Blogger Crazy Girl City said...

Congrats Capt!

Wed Sep 28, 06:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I'm super late, but Congrats!

Sat Oct 01, 02:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home