Monday, September 26, 2005

from Peter King's Monday Morning QB column...

NFL TELETHON NOTE OF THE WEEK
When the league held its fundraising telethon for Hurricane Katrina victims last Monday, one of the operators taking phone calls was former Raiders lineman and coach Art Shell. At one point during the evening, the phone at his station rang. He picked it up.


"NFL Hurricane Relief, this is Art Shell,'' he answered.

"Raiders SUCK!'' said a guy, who promptly hung up.

Seriously? These former NFL players and other celebrities (Tony Danza!) were giving up there time to volunteer for this effort and answer the phones for the telethon and get subjected to that? I considered calling to donate JUST on the off chance that I might talk to a former/current NFL player on the phone - though I admit I would've had to ask Tony Danza, had I got him on the phone, after donating, "hey, NOW who's the boss?". Really though, who's the stuck on stupid ass-blaster who said that to Art Shell in the midst of his supporting the good cause?

3 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Completely off the subject, but this story was really bothering me and I needed to turn it over to the appropriate authorities:

You have got to be kidding me.

Tue Sep 27, 07:10:00 PM  
Blogger The Captain said...

No worries Phil, sports related stuff is welcome on almost any post.

I can do you one better though. One of the fantasy leagues I-66 and myself participate in is a 20 team league. Certain things like defenses, kickers, starting quarterbacks, are at a premium. So I ask you what's worse. That the Jets are signing Testaverde, or that I briefly considered trying to pick him up for my fantasy team in that league?

Tue Sep 27, 07:51:00 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Uh...the latter.

Tue Sep 27, 08:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home