Thursday, July 28, 2005

Yeah, come and get us.

Last night was crap.

I won’t wholly recap what happened but there are some things to note:

- There was air-to-air lightning at a distance (10 miles or more).
- Representatives from the opposition purported to want to play… yet the entire team stayed up in the parking lot.
- Our players had gathered at the field, checked in, and put on their gear in preparation to play.

Now, I love the game and generally will play any chance I get. I hold out hope when wet weather hits that the county won’t close the fields – despite the fact that it’s difficult to be optimistic all the time. Last night I knew (Doppler radar motion, baby) that the storm would be passing quickly and that the chances of the fields being playable were good – and all of that was true. My irritation with the whole situation was all over the place: the cheering, the lack of an actual weather threat, the fact that the weather was moving East and away from us, the driving out there and not being able to play after all, I could go on. I don’t believe they wanted to play. Some individuals supposed that maybe they were going to be short on players and that’s why they didn’t come down to the field and were all beat-around-the-bush about how we should handle the situation. It’s a distinct possibility that that assessment is on the mark based on what I know about their roster, but I have no real way of proving it. I know one thing for sure: I don’t often “get up” for a game, but if this one gets rescheduled I believe I will make an exception. Sure, it’s a rec league and we’re all out to have fun, but when you throw down a “we’ll get you next time” gauntlet, people are going to have something to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home