Tuesday, July 19, 2005

MLS v. The World

In the coming days, two MLS teams, the LA Galaxy and our boys DC United are facing two international soccer powers in Real Madrid (that's ray-al) from Spain and Chelsea from England - two of the best teams in the world. Now, it goes without saying that I'm rooting for DC United against Chelsea, but tonight the Galaxy play Real and I've been back and forth all day about with whom I should side. Among MLS teams, the LA Galaxy are near the top in terms of who I hate the most - along with Metrostars and Chivas USA - so it'd be very easy for me to root for Beckham and his boys to slaughter them by something like 5 goals. That vindictive side of me was ruling most of the day... but I realized that a win by the green and gold over one of the best teams in the world would be huge for MLS and American soccer in terms of respect. The Galacticos (Real) are not bringing some B team over the ocean, they're bringing Beckham, Zidane, Owen, Ronaldo, and Roberto Carlos (et al). So, it's rare, but the Galaxy have my support... it's just a shame they won't have Landon Donovan...

1 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

Clyde Simms! Feel good story of the year in American soccer. I'm glad our boys were able to bring him on, he's played well this year.

Tue Jul 19, 01:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home