Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Post Post

Ugh.

We drew last night an easily winnable game, and I blame myself.

2-1, I've got the ball in the box headed towards goal when I get bumped from behind causing me to lose control of the ball. I go to chase it down, though now it's well wide of the goal, and eventually get to it but just as I do, the ref blows his whistle. Out of bounds? No. It was close but still in. Offsides? Can't be, I wasn't passing to anyone. Penalty kick! For that? Well, okay, if you insist.

I take the ball, place it on the spot, and look up to see the keeper right of center, giving me the entire left side of the goal to shoot at. I figured he was doing it so he would know where it was going and try to make the save to that side - eliminate the guess work (he'd later tell me that I was right). I back up, decide to go left and put it towards the corner as far from the keeper as possible. Ref blows his whistle, I run up and strike the hell out of the ball... Yes! It looks beaut-- CLANG!!-- off the post.

I don't miss penalties when they count. No worries, I try to think, we still lead by 1 (I should mention I also hit the left post earlier on a shot from 20 yards that beat the keeper but bounced out.) Of course, late in the game the opposition earns a penalty kick and converts it to salvage the draw. It would've been a 3-2 scoreline then and I wouldn't be posting this... but now I feel like crap. Redemption shall be mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home