Friday, July 22, 2005

Unlucky 13

So yesterday the news comes out that 87% of NHL players voted in support of the new CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement). I have many questions, but there's one that keeps cycling through my mind in that blows-me-away kinda way...

What were the other 13% thinking?

"Yeah, we've been out of work for a year... the owners seemed to hold the cards during the work stoppage... and this is our ticket back to the ice... let's vote against it! Brilliant!"

Wise move, asscorns.

Thankfully for the league nearly 9 out of 10 players has a brain and voted yes. You can count me among the many people who's made the "what's hockey?" jokes over the past year but I have to admit to being just a little glad that all of the nonsense around the stoppage is through. I've only ever been to 2 Capitals games and occasionally watched during the regular season - more often in the playoffs (and I hate Esa Tikkanen), but the Caps are still the home team and get support. So now there are a couple more small steps to be taken before the NHL and its 451 teams take to the ice for the first time in a year. It's no understatement to say that fan appreciation will not exactly be registering very high at the beginning. The league has many bridges to reconstruct with its hardcore fans and build new ones to reach out to the casual fan. As strange as it may seem, I'm actually considering a visit to MCI once the season kicks off (faces off?) again. I mean, hey, good seats will probably be available... Anyone else plan on going? I can think of one blogger who, knowing her roots, may have a thing or two to say (only supposition).. but does anyone else harbor the seemingly national sentiment about the NHL - which is to say "so what?"

5 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Those asscorns who voted against the CBA must have decided that the NHL may still have a few fans left in Canada and they wanted to alienate them, too.

I personally would not miss hockey one bit.

Fri Jul 22, 06:38:00 PM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

Is asscorrn the official blog word of the day?

Fri Jul 22, 08:18:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

yes.. of all days ending in "day"

Fri Jul 22, 09:02:00 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

Asscorn is just such a great word.

As for Canada, NHL wasn't really missed the last few years. Canadians will always find some kind of hockey to watch, and the junior leagues got a lot of press while the NHL was on hiatus. Which is good and bad. Gives the younger kids who are still in it for the game a lot more fans...but then, where do they go when they are too old for juniors leagues?

Although (might lose my citizenship for saying this) I never once went to watch a pro hockey game while I lived in Canada, I'll be happy when it's back. Whatevs...despite everything, it's still one of the most exciting sports to watch live, even if I have to do it in DC with 1/2 empty stands and a losing team.

Mon Jul 25, 10:48:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

Ahhh finally you chime in. I figure they'll be basically giving the tickets away - relative to prices before - and I might find it within myself to go for the right price... contrary to my prior attitude.

Tue Jul 26, 12:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home