Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The Poker Resurgence



Sometimes, I wonder if we should change the title of our blog here. Sure, we discuss sports frequently, but music, activities (poker isn't a sport, not yet) culture and general bitching have become topics as well. Maybe we should be DC Grab Bag or something. Since "Sports" can still refer to people (i.e. Good Sports) the name will remain unchanged for now.

Enough rambling, we're here to discuss poker. The resurgence of poker can all be traced to a man named Moneymaker, who came out of nowhere three years ago to win 2.5 million dollars in the World Series of Poker. Suddenly, anyone and everyone realized they had a chance. Moneymaker beat 800-some people, many of them professionals. The next year, Fossilman Greg Raymer beat over 2,000 entrants (see how quick the game became popular) and won 5 million, another amateur made good.

This year, over 5,600 people competed. I already learned the winner, it's everywhere you look on-line, but out of respect to those who want to be surprised, I won't name him/her here.

Why is this so good? Well, while not consistently, I had played poker many times in my life before the boom, and many more soon after. I have been able to personally relieve my friends of about $300 this year in our home games. Additionally, this new boom has given rise to perhaps the greatest invention (and time-killer) of the past few years, online poker.

I am a frequent player on Pokerstars, guilty as charged. On-line poker is a great way to make money, especially if you win tournaments. Unfortunately, due to my desire for a big score, I do well in a few small tournaments, then blow my profit entering a larger tournament and attempting to make three years salary in one night. One day...

Recently, myself and Deep Cover, as well as a few others, have joined the National Pub Poker League. I would suggest anyone living near a bar who is remotely interested in poker give it a try. Entry is free, since hosting cash gambling games is illegal in Va. Don't feel bad for them, they make up for it in beer sales. Prizes are sports tickets, gift certificates, etc.

I can't be the only poker freak out there. Who else in the blog world enjoys this activity?

8 Comments:

Blogger DC Cookie said...

Just ditched my fave gambling game (blackjack) on my cruise for a new one: three-card poker. Won a hand that paid out 40-1. I'm hooked...

Tue Jul 19, 08:07:00 PM  
Blogger The Captain said...

I do like three card poker, they don't have that on Pokerstars, or any of the others though, I don't believe. I play around with it some. Do you bet on "pair plus" consistently? I haven't decided whether or not that pays off.

Tue Jul 19, 08:41:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

3 card.. like in Lock Stock?

Wed Jul 20, 03:45:00 AM  
Blogger The Captain said...

Not the same thing. I'm not sure what they were playing in Lock Stock, I disliked that movie.

Wed Jul 20, 02:01:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

you and about 5 other people...

Wed Jul 20, 02:44:00 PM  
Blogger The Captain said...

How good are you at Texas Hold Em, Sara? Have you considered joining the NPPL? Play online for money? Information people, I need to know I'm not the only borderline addict out there.

Wed Jul 20, 05:24:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

Speaking of which, it's about time for me to come off of my Hold 'em Hiatus and begin taking people's money again... not this week, will be too tired.. but next!

Wed Jul 20, 07:08:00 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

Yep - I put most of my bet on pair-plus and I bet on it every time. That has the best payouts when you hit. I can't figure why people put more on the ante. Not sure what the odds are of a non-pair hand beating the dealer.

Thu Jul 21, 10:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home