Thursday, June 30, 2005

I can't stand the rain...

Memo to Mother Nature: If you're going to get all pissy and rain/thunder/lightning in the vicinity of our soccer field, please do so well before a game so they can cancel and reschedule as opposed to 20 minutes after the game has started... and we have a 2-0 lead... on a goal scored by me and one assisted by me (not to toot my own horn.) Thanks.

Yeah, the skies looked threatening but our game started on time as the dark gray clouds rolled in. It seemed as if it may pass over quickly (where's a doppler radar when you need one?) and we jumped out to a 2-0 lead. I headed home the first one when one of our girls crossed a ball that was tipped by the keeper right into my path. I ran onto it and left little doubt in putting the biscuit in the basket. 1-0 us. There was a bizarre offside reversal on the play (assistant called me offside, referee waived it off incorrectly - won't go into it here, I'll explain later if you really want) and the goal stood. On the 2nd goal I can't remember who played it in the air to me but I tried to trap it and take it myself but it popped up in the air and away from me into the path of an unexpecting Deep Cover who shot and scored. 2-0 us (more on this later). So the wind starts to blow... lightning gets closer and closer... and the ref pulls the teams off the field, gets me and the other captain together and we decide to wait 10 minutes and see if it blows over. The game was 20-25 minutes old and if we had waited the requisite 25 minutes it would've gotten to halftime. That wouldn't be problem except for if a game gets to halftime and has to be concluded early at any point thereafter it becomes final... so we wanted a 10 minute window to decide which we were provided. So then the rain starts to fall and we gather our stuff (leaving the net and corner flags up, with the intention of returning) and retreat to our cars to stay dry.

The Captain and I walked to my car and sat there for maybe 15 minutes (less?) before it started to come down in buckets. I saw the captain for the other team and we decided to call the game off then to reschedule later. Alright. Cool... except for the net and flags. Me, The Captain, and one of our girls (assister from the 1st goal) sprint down to the field and grab the flags and take down the net - getting absolutely drenched in the process - and walk back to the cars, since we weren't going to get any less wet by running. And by the way, have you ever had to run on pavement in cleats? Good luck.

So, not only will our game be rescheduled, but when we do play again we'll start it over like nothing ever happened. No goal for me or Deep Cover, no 2-0 lead. No nothing. After we got back to the house Deep Cover and I were talking about the shortened never-happened game and before walking away there was this exchange:

DC: "By the way, honestly-"
I-66 [interrupting]: "No"

Translation:
DC: "By the way, honestly, did you mean to pass me that ball (on the 2nd goal)?"
I-66: "No, I was trying to trap it and take it myself"

Using as little words as possible to converse. That's beautiful.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mamma Bear said...

I missed the Orioles v. Yankees game thanks to that biyatch mother nature. She and I are not on speaking terms at the moment.

Thu Jun 30, 02:23:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

Join me in my dislike, Robin. However, I expect Mother Nature to start to make it up to me by ensuring that there is no rain at Live 8 this weekend.

Thu Jun 30, 03:17:00 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

Two guys, one girl, wandering through field in rainy downpour...that's HOT!

Thu Jun 30, 03:18:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

definitely did not need a cigarette after that one... I needed a towel.. or at least a dryer big enough to throw myself in on auto dry.

Thu Jun 30, 03:43:00 PM  
Blogger The Captain said...

Is it any hotter that our shirts were wet and clinging to us, and that one of the people involved was named "The Captain."

The Captain, master of the triple entendre.

Loved the comment, at least you didn't say it was hot when it was just I-66 and I in his car. That would have been awkward.

Thu Jun 30, 03:45:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

who needs shirts anyway?

Thu Jun 30, 04:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home