Monday, June 27, 2005

A farce and a lie?

I may be reaching a bit here but I consider this to be a pertinent subject matter and it is sports related so let’s let it fly.

I don’t know how many of you are long-time ESPN.com readers, especially of Page 2 as it applies here, but some time ago there was an article written by Stacey Pressman about women as sports fans and their attractiveness to men. Personally I find some knowledge of sports to be almost a necessity in terms of the women I choose to date. I don’t need you to be able to explain the Cover 2 defense better than Tony Dungy (but if you can, more power to you) or explain the offside rule in soccer with salt and pepper shakers and packets of sugar on a restaurant table, but having a knowledge of sports tends to be pretty hot. Pressman disagrees, saying that the claim that men will like women with sports knowledge is “a farce”, “a lie” and “not even remotely true”. Strong words.

I urge you to read the article if you haven’t done so already. I don’t know a single guy that is threatened or somehow turned off by the fact that the beautiful woman sitting next to them knows the difference between a 5 yard facemask penalty and a 15 yarder, knows that Chris is not even close to Chris Webber’s given first name, or knows the difference between a reverse and an end around. I hope the men out there in the world of the blog will back me up and support the idea that women sports fans are indeed desirable and that the women out there will not be put off by the few insecure guys that are threatened by sports knowledge. After all, you don’t really want anything to do with insecure men to begin with, do you?

8 Comments:

Blogger DC Cookie said...

As long as women who know sports don't intrude on 'guys-only' sports-watching marathons, I suspect a little love of the game is an attractive quality. When the TV is on football, she won't complain. What more could you ask for?

Mon Jun 27, 02:45:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

exactly! A point with which I cannot argue.

Mon Jun 27, 02:55:00 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

As long as you doesn't diss my Buffalo Bills (I picked them as a fave because they lost 4 times in a row in the Super Bowl and I felt bad) or my Toronto Blue Jays (my Dad liked them so I did too) too badly on your site, I'll read up.

Mon Jun 27, 06:23:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

I have no problem with Toronto or Buffalo, so long as they aren't playing the Nationals or Redskins. I'm actually rooting for JP Losman to succeed and hope that Travis Henry gets traded quickly and wish that Peerless Price had never left to play for that poor excuse for a QB in Atlanta. So Buffalo's ok with me... and now that I think about it, the only time I wasn't rooting for them in the Super Bowl was against the Redskins...

Mon Jun 27, 06:41:00 PM  
Blogger The Captain said...

I suppose I should chime in here. This is one topic where the current S/O and I do not agree at all. Odd considering this is a blog about being a D.C. sports and leisure nut, yet dating someone who only watches X-Games, and even that precious little.

This has it's plusses an minuses. Sure I'd love for her to be able to chat about this stuff with me, but it's by no means necessary. I can't really contribute much to a lot of what she watches, so it's pretty even.

On the other hand, I at least know I'll get three hours of peace and solitude during Sundays in the Fall.

As an aside to D.C. Cookie, I should say this about your rooting interests. The Blue Jays are fine, they're a preferable team over some others in the AL East (Yeah, I said it Blonde)

As for the Bills, I don't mind them so much, I just hope you're not a Drew Bledsoe fan. Because as the new QB for the Dallas Cowboys, I'm going to be hoping that our defense folds him up like an accordion.

However, I should ask, since it was not addressed in your posting. Where were you born?

Mon Jun 27, 08:56:00 PM  
Blogger The Captain said...

Don't worry about it so much, like I-66 said, most guys will appreciate it. The ones that don't probably feel threatened about it. I wouldn't stay up all night worrying about them. Most men will be impressed.

Tue Jun 28, 03:55:00 AM  
Blogger I-66 said...

It is unfortunate that I must speak from experience on this issue. Having endured many "can't you just record it?" and "can't you just find out the score?" lines and the like over the years, I've grown to appreciate the sports-appreciating woman. Of course, the answer to the above questions on both counts is a resounding "NO" -- and no matter how hard you try to explain, some people just don't get it.

Tue Jun 28, 12:32:00 PM  
Blogger Mamma Bear said...

My $0.02:
I know an LAX guy that probably would have stopped talking to the girl that knew about the sport because he's an a$$hole and becuase he thinks that he is a God for playing - but that is not the point of my post.

I think that guys do want a girl who likes sports, goes to sporting events, etc. but also allows the guy to have his male bonding time with the men on Sunday during football season.
I love the Orioles (How'bout dem O's Hon?) and I love baseball game dates, but I don't think I have had guys say one way or the other whether or not they liked that I like sports and can actually following sports (football, baseball, etc) on tv.

Tue Jun 28, 07:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home