Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Andray > Kwame

WIZARDS DRAFT HIGH SCHOOLER… uh oh.

Fear not, we have not re-acquired Kwame Brown or either of his (perhaps non-existent) siblings Blow-me and Bore-me. Instead, we’ve drafted Andray Blatche. Who? Andray Blatche. A 6’11, 235 pound 18 year-old from South Kent Prep in Connecticut. Here’s a brief rundown:

- Averaged 27 points, 16 rebounds, and 6 blocks per game his senior year
- Was one of 10 finalists for the Naismith Award (best high school player in the nation)
- Is originally from Syracuse, NY
- Models his game after Bill Wennington

Ok, I made that last one up.

Wizards brass (boy, that sounds weird to say) says that he’ll likely spend some time in the NBDL in what we hope is a situation where he can hone his skills and eventually put in some time at the 4 for us. I can’t believe that I’m actually saying this about a Wizards pick but… I like it. Here’s a guy who has no #1 overall pick expectations and can just come in and play. He’s not highly publicized and there should not be too much pressure on him to produce right away (though, yanno, that’d be saWEET if he did). I believe that the Wiz will give him the time he needs to grow (talent wise and physically) and that he’ll end up being a glass cleaner for us off the bench at the very least.

Andray Blatche, welcome to the family. Good job Ernie and Eddie. You’ve done well, I think, with limited draft resources. Now, how about using some of those monetary resources to re-sign Larry Hughes?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home