Thursday, January 26, 2006

1836

Houston 1836

This is the name of the relocated San Jose Earthquakes.

I'm torn.

Part of me doesn't like 1836. I understand the historical significance, but eh.

The other part of me likes the idea that MLS teams are moving away from the traditional American sports franchise names: City Name Nickname.

There are still MLS sides who have names like that, still around since the dawn of the league: LA Galaxy, Columbus Crew, KC Wizards, etc. But look now at what we have in terms of teams without traditional names:

DC United, FC Dallas, Real Salt Lake, Metrostars (much better than NY/NJ Metrostars), Chivas USA, and now Houston 1836

I think I'm okay with it. I really hope that there's an orange strip for the club, because MLS don't need another red team.

My question: In observance of the random mention of DC United as "the United", will un-soccerfied Houstonians will refer to their new side as "the 1836"? Personally, similar to how RSL have become "Real", I hope Houston 1836 become "1836".

2 Comments:

Blogger DCSportsChick said...

Shut up! I totally missed that. We were in Houston during the "name the team" contest, but I never heard the end result. What a stupid name. I get the significance, but it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Tue Jan 31, 01:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's kind of dumb, but they seem to be trying to make lots of European sounding names - DC United, FC Dallas, and now Houston 1836, like 1860 Munich. Still, it sounds silly. Go 1836es!

Tue Jan 31, 07:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home