Wednesday, January 25, 2006

DC-U say?

This is discouraging.

Brush aside DC United with a yawn, after four MLS Cups in 10 seasons? I would not have expected that from someone who both plays soccer and has been in RFK Stadium for United games in the past. That said, everyone's entitled to their opinions. You said you'd let me handle it, so here goes...

Notable Departure: Dema Kovalenko. Dema's been one of the most passionate (if not dangerous) players to wear the black and red in a few years. I'm sad to see him go, but he was making more money than a player of his caliber and ilk should, I think. He's heading to Europe to pursue a place on a team with his native Ukraine being a possible destination.

Notable Arrivals: Justin Moose (Wake Forest), Rod Dyachenko (UNLV), Jeff Carroll (St. Johns), Kenny Bertz (Maryland) - all via the MLS SuperDraft.

Freddy: Recently appeared in his first US National Team game. This has bound him to play for only the US, after Ghana courted him to return and play for their national side. I still think his odds to make the World Cup roster are long, but you never know. Personally, I really think Bruce threw him a bone and perhaps thought Freddy failing to make the squad would be a humbling experience for someone who thinks he's so great. Something humbling would be good for Adu in the long run.

Now it's time to focus on preparing for the 2006 season, and the return to glory for the Black and Red.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Captain said...

Play yes...watch no. Soccer is approximately sport #8 on my watch list, unless it's World Cup time.

Sure I go, but it's more to hang out with the guys than to actually care about the game. Though I admit, I do feel better if D.C. wins.

Thu Jan 26, 12:26:00 AM  
Blogger D said...

O Captain, My Captain
my faithful reading's done
you will not be a footie fan
are you really Irish, son?

O Captain, My Captain
why not watch the DCU?
We've given DC four titles
since Rypien's 1992.

O Captain, My Captain
no, it's not paced like the EPL
but even you admit you love to see
United throw the Metros down the well.

Thu Jan 26, 01:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home