Thursday, January 12, 2006

Perhaps I missed something...

The AFC divisional playoff game Sunday at the RCA Dome is a rematch of the Steelers' 26-7 Monday night loss on Nov. 28, but Porter was unimpressed by the Colts' play in that game.

"They don't want to just sit there, line up and play football," [Joey] Porter told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "They want to try to catch you off guard. They don't want to play smash-mouth football, they want to trick you. ... They want to catch you substituting. Know what I mean? They don't want to just call a play, get up there and run a play. They want to make you think. They want it to be a thinking game instead of a football game."

He called Edgerrin James' 124 yards in the November matchup a "cheap 100," and said the Colts couldn't line up and run straight at the Steelers defense.

"I don't think they outhit us," Porter told the paper. "If they would have outhit us, they would have just lined up, and they wouldn't have done all the audibles every play. If you want to outhit us, line up and play football. That's when you outhit us. Line up, you get your people, we got our eight men in the box, run the ball."


Now, call me crazy, but do you not have to think during a football game? I'm pretty sure the final score of that game was 26-7. Not 26-17 or 26-24, 26-7. That's a pretty sound butt-whooping the Colts put on the Steelers - both their offense AND defense. Isn't part of the game creating and exploiting matchups to your advantage? I don't understand what Porter's beef is with the way the Colts play. Hell, they went 14-2, I think it's working. What would Herm Edwards say?

"Hell-OHHH! You play. To win. The game."

Shut up, Joey Porter. Take a cue from Ben Roethlisberger:


"This team is an unbelievable football team," Roethlisberger said of the Colts, who won their first 13 games before dropping two of their final three. "They're as good as it gets in the NFL. It's going to take our A-plus game to go out and beat their B-minus game."


That's how you don't end up on someone's bulletin board.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Captain said...

I think Porter, like many people in the NFL, is sick of Peyton Manning's hand waving and other drama, especially considering it means nothing half the time.

That being said, if I was the Colts, I'd keep doing it every play. They're not going to change their gameplan just because Joey Porter is unhappy.

Fri Jan 13, 01:07:00 AM  
Blogger I-66 said...

All it is is sour grapes.

They don't want to have to stop the Colts defense. If they'd won their division they wouldn't be in this position. I hope they go down in flames.

Fri Jan 13, 12:44:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

And by the way, I think saying many in the NFL are "sick" of Manning's hand waving is projecting rather heavily, no? As much NFL coverage as I watch I have never seen anyone complain.

Fri Jan 13, 12:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home