Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Stop me if I start to care

For a few years prior to 2005, I was far from a baseball fan. I declared the Baltimore Orioles not to be my home team -- because they're from Baltimore. I hated (and still do) Peter Angelos for trying to keep baseball out of DC. I didn't watch baseball highlights. I didn't watch baseball games until the playoffs.

Then the Washington Nationals arrived. I now had a reason to watch, and an actual team for which to root. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a die hard baseball fan now by any stretch of the imagination. Why? Because I wipe my ass with the World Baseball Classic.

I can't watch this. Some of the best players were pulling out of the competition as if there were some sort of condom shortage. Buck Martinez bought an overturn of a call by talking to the home plate ump against Japan. Oh, and Pay-Rod plays for the USA. American or not, under no circumstances can I root for him.

Wake me when you're through, World Baseball Classic. I've got NFL free agency and the NFL mock drafts to pay attention to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home