Wednesday, February 15, 2006

MLS goes GQ?


Okay. Not really. But 7 of its players were part of a Maxim Magazine shoot (March). My thoughts are all over the place on this one:

The 7 participating players are as follows (L to R):

- Brian Ching, Houston 1836

- Eddie Johnson, Kansas City Wizards (he's been traded from FC Dallas but profile still has him in Dallas)

- Taylor Twellman, New England Revolution

- Landon Donovan, Los Angeles Galaxy

- Chris Albright, Los Angeles Galaxy

- Clint Dempsey, New England Revolution

- Pablo Mastroeni, Colorado Rapids

These players are called the game's "brightest stars" by MLSnet.com and I'm fine with that for 6 of the 7... My problem is the inclusion of Chris Albright here. Any learned DC United fan knows that Chris Albright was rubbish when he was here. In my opinion he still IS rubbish and doesn't deserve to wear an MLS shirt, much less be called one of its brightest stars and appear in a prominent magazine.

That said, I'm all for the league growing in the public's conscience. The World Cup is right around the corner and all 7 of the players included have suited up for the US National Team in the past and stand at the very least half a chance of being included in the side that travels to Germany (Bruce Arena, if you're reading, please leave behind Albright. There are at least 15 American defenders better than he is).

Furthermore, I'm a tad disappointed to not see any DC United players included here, but I also realize that there isn't really anyone on the roster for the black and red that is worthy. Granted, if Alecko Eskandarian had had the privilege of not being eradicated by the knee of Matt Reis, he might be in the picture for the US. I'm glad the decision was made (no matter who made it) to not include Freddy Adu in the group because "everyone knows who he is" or whatever reason might have been enough to include him anyway. Freddy has talent, but he's not a top of the line player in MLS right now. He's playing a man's game now, and if he keeps acting like a kid (though he may still be), he's not GOING to become a top of the line player.

All in all, this is a great thing for MLS here in the states. The more people that learn about the league and its players the better. Bring on the World Cup.

PS: At the All-Star game at RFK (2004?), I found myself in a section very close to an on-field situation where Adu was slowly carrying the ball towards Albright who was in a soft backpedal. Freddy looked hesitant to go at him and I jumped out of my seat and screamed, "Just beat him! He's Chris Albright!"... Raucous laughter from my section. I guess they think the same way.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

They could've put Ben Olsen in the Maxim shoot. I'll admit I haven't followed either DC United or the US Nat'l teams for quite a while, so I can't attest to his abilities as they currently stand. But, I think he's a cutie at least. (Yeah I'm still a chick)

Wed Feb 15, 09:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoever wrote this article, "you are an IDIOT and you absolutly know nothing about soccer". And by the way, what up with the word rubbish? Act like an american you and not someone trying to talk like a european. Thats all I have to say because its just a wast of time. Once again, IDIOT!

Fri Feb 24, 04:21:00 PM  
Blogger The Captain said...

Wow, we haven't had hating on this blog in awhile.

For someone throwing around the word idiot, I love your use of absolutly and waste. Do you have an aversion to the letter e? I also love the phrase "Act like an american you..." What are you, in the Italian Mafia? Quiet YOU!!

I think your last sentence sums it up nicely...it's a waste of time. Just like your life.

I didn't even write this, my partner in crime on this blog did, but did it ever occur to you that he might be from Europe? And yet, he still has a better grasp of the english language than you.

Fri Feb 24, 07:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home