Wednesday, February 22, 2006

They can take our WUSA, but they'll never take...

I was saddened when the WUSA collapsed prior to the 2003 World Cup. I had followed the league since it began and went to my share of Washington Freedom games. I encountered a pair of Freedom players at an old job a month or two before their first ever game. They were surprised that I knew who they were and encouraged me to come out to the stadium. Deep Cover and I went to RFD for the watching party for the Founders Cup in 2002 where the Freedom became the last champions of the WUSA.

For the past 2½ years, the only womens' soccer to be found has been the W-League (semi-pro). The games aren't televised (save the playoffs on Fox Soccer Channel), and the closest team to here is the Northern Virginia Majestics, who play their games in Woodbridge. Now comes word from the W-League that the Freedom are returning. Washington Freedom SC will begin play this spring as an "associate member" of the W-League. According to the article, the team is mostly intact and will play 14 games, calling the Soccerplex in Germantown, MD their home. Anyone who thinks I'm not going to some games is crazy... especially if Casey Zimny and Sarah Kate Noftsinger are still around...




3 Comments:

Blogger chanuck said...

I am so there. I miss the WUSA as well.
I smell a road trip in my future.

Thu Feb 23, 01:51:00 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Bleeecchhhhh.

I did see Mia Hamm recently at a Tech basketball game (with No-mah). That is the only good thing I can say about WUSA.

Thu Feb 23, 08:54:00 PM  
Blogger The Captain said...

Doesn't that girl on the left look like one of the women on our team? Or your team, I should say. I think there's a resemblance.

Wed Mar 01, 02:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home