Monday, February 20, 2006

9 8

Kenny Smith is a fraud.

Did you watch the slam dunk contest at NBA All Star weekend? I was out on Saturday night so I recorded it. I'm glad I did.

As you may know, Andre Iguodala and Nate Robinson had a dunk-off to decide a winner after they were tied after the finals. The fact that they were tied is my point of contention. Andre Iguodala needed a 45 or better on his 2nd dunk to beat Robinson after Robinson's 2nd dunk, when he got a perfect score of 50 for leaping over Spud Webb. Iguodala came from the side, went between his legs, and dunked the ball with one hand after going under the rim. Kenny Smith, who had been cheering openly for Robinson, had a 9 in his hands but did not hold it above his head. 3 of the other 4 judges held up their scores (scores of 8, 9, and 9) and Moses Malone, another judge, had picked up a 10 and seemingly intended to hold it up. Kenny Smith looked down the line to his right (he was at the far left of the judges' table) and appeared to see the other scores before putting down the 9 and switching to an 8, giving Iguodala a score of 44 and sending him with Robinson to a dunk-off. Smith was the only judge excited, pounding his fists on the table and excitedly repeating "It's a dunk-off! It's a dunk-off!"

Iguodala lost to Robinson in the dunk-off, despite having perhaps the two best dunks of the night. Way to go, Kenny Smith.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marci said...

I at first glance, thought this a a post about a drunk contest and my first thoughts went to wondering why I had not been invited to participate. :|

Tue Feb 21, 05:39:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

If I ever have one you're at the top of the invitee list.

Tue Feb 21, 07:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home