Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Burned up

Wow. That was crap.

Defending MLS Champions DC United were ousted from the MLS Playoffs after a 4-0 stinker of a loss to Chicago Fire at RFK Stadium. I don’t even know where to begin as far as slinging around the blame, so instead let’s look ahead.

- Freddy Adu - You figure I had to start there. Shut your mouth and play. You’re not a superstar. You’re not even the best player on your own team. In the time you had on the field this season you didn’t do too terribly much. I’d like to see Freddy tryout for the World Cup side so he could maybe be humbled when Saint Bruce cuts him. There’s a reason he’s on the bench. This is a team, check your personal agenda at the door and play soccer.

- Defense – This needs to get better. I saw once on the MLS Power Rankings on espn.com someone write that Facundo Erpen “oozes class”. Um, I don’t think so. He oozes something, though.

- Christian Gomez – What happened to you in the playoffs? And who was that guy on the field wearing your jersey? Return to form next season, please.

- The Post has it that there will be some salary cap issues to get past this offseason. Jettisoning Freddy is the wrong move. It sends the message that the squeaky wheel gets the grease and in Freddy’s case I find that to be unacceptable.

Next season the DCU quest for a cup will begin again. In the meantime, how bout a stadium deal?

1 Comments:

Blogger DCSportsChick said...

I agree- I'd like to see Freddy get cut from the national team as well. Dude isn't as great as he thinks he is, but when you're the highest-paid player in the league, you expect to play more. Should he? Eh, I don't know- he could use some more experience, certainly. He does come off as a whiner and there's no doubt in my mind that he's leaving D.C., which is too bad. I'd prefer to see him stay here but I don't think it will happen now.

Tue Nov 01, 10:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home