Monday, October 24, 2005

Thank you, United States Government

I'll be one of the first to say I'm often disappointed in our nations goverment, but they got this one right.

Now understand, I have nothing against fat people, or the obese. At one point in my life, I would have qualified as overweight myself. You know who I blamed during that period of time? Me...face to face, mirror to mirror. It is incomprehensible to me that others can't do the same.

It angries up my blood when I see another story of parents who are suing McDonald's or another fast food joint because their kid is fat. They claim they've been lied to, that there should be nutritional information on the food, etc. I don't watch too much T.V., but can someone honestly tell me a commercial has ever aired, anywhere, that said "McDonald's is healthy for you and will contribute to a long life?" You can't, because it doesn't happen.

Other countries laugh at us for our obesity problem, and they have every right to do it, although I gather some countries in Europe are starting to catch up to us. There isn't enough self blame in this country, and that needs to change. If you're overweight, and you want to lose some, then do it. Here's a list of things I don't want to hear:

1. My genetics are poor...You know what, tough. God isn't under any obligation to deal you the same hand Michael Phelps or Amanda Beard got. I've read in multiple publications that more than 90% of bad genetics can be overcome by exercising frequently and eating better. My own genetics are as bad as you can get, but I don't let it stop me. It's willpower people. I'm almost positive that most people who say this are also making frequent trips to Wendy's. Bad genetics is a crutch excuse.

2. I don't have the time to work out...Also B.S. I'll bet you have time for 24, or House, or whatever else. Unless you work 14 hours a day (assuming eight hours of sleep plus commute time, there's time to work out.) Get your priorities straight. What's more important to you? Living a normal lifespan, perhaps longer, or finding out who wins Survivor?

3. I'm intimidated by gyms...There's plenty of home workout equipment available. Besides which, think about it this way. Everyone of those muscle guys, or slim women you see in the gym, started out the same way. Maybe not overweight necessarily, but normal looking. They had to work to get the way they are. It all begins with sticking with it.

There is so much available to you. Take a spinning class here. Go for a run with this paradigm of fitness. At least one blogger I was aware of, the D.C. Diet Diva, was taking her fight online, but I believe her blog is gone now. Unfortunate, I was interested in her progress.

I've got a little to lose, which will be taken care of this winter. Notice the mindset there, "WILL BE TAKEN CARE OF." Not, "I want to..." or "I hope..." it's "I WILL." Little changes like that make a big difference in how successful you are. Rather than making excuses, get up and get started. Seriously, how many skinny, in shape people do you hear lamenting "Man, if only I was fatter." None that I know of. How many out of shape, overweight people do you hear saying the opposite? Come on, no one wants to be overweight, not deep down. It all starts with you and a mirror, and your willingness to shoulder the blame, rather than trying to get rich off successful businesses.

I challenge any of you out there reading to get started. Show me some progress over the next 4-6 months, and I'll buy you a drink or two at the next Happy Hour. Liquor of course, it has less calories.

*********************************

I have officially removed the Cleveland Park Men's Club from our links. This is not out of any particular dislike for their group. It would be hard to dislike anyone I haven't met in person (except The Milkman, who was quite affable, but is no longer a part of the group.) However, with the passing of their blog, I see no reason to stay linked to a site which is twisting the knife.

I understand there has been a lot of tension within the D.C. blog scene between them and others, and I don't claim to have any knowledge of the events that lead up to it. I won't pass judgement on who deserves what. I don't personally feel that the parody sites, such as the Gay Men's Club, are necessary or deserved, but that's up to the writer of that site to decide.

Aside from the Milkman, my only other real interaction came from The Chef and Miss Penny Lane, who were instrumental in helping me finalize how I would propose to my now-fiancee. For that I will never speak an unkind word of them, and I still owe them drinks should they ever decide to cash in.

To "The Senator", who we shared some football discussion with, and the others who I never met, good luck with your Rat-Pack lifestyle, as was described on DCB. Hopefully the anger caused will eventually go away. Until then, good luck in whatever you choose to do.

10 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Well said, Captain.

On your previous topic, a few months ago Bon's doctor told him he was one pound from being considered "obese" - which of course we all thought was hilarious (and which also meant I probably was well into the "technically obese" category). Bon is by no means 'svelte' anymore, but neither would I describe him anywhere close to being obese. We never could determine where that watermark was exactly.

Mon Oct 24, 09:34:00 PM  
Blogger A Unique Alias said...

Awesome post. I concur wholeheartedly. I was 25 pounds heavier about six months ago. I decided to shed the shit. So I worked at it, hard, and got my metabolism ramped up.

Now none of my pants fit quite right. :-)

Tue Oct 25, 01:31:00 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

Does progress count if I am already running 30 miles a week? If I up it to 32 can I still get free drinks?

Tue Oct 25, 02:25:00 PM  
Blogger The Captain said...

Phil, I usually just go by what I see. You can usually tell when someone is obese, and the BMI is a pretty bad measure of it. I have one of those cool scales that sends electricity through you.

AUA, awesome job, although since you already did it, you don't qualify for free drinks.

Marci, I think you're not obeying the spirit of the law here. If you're running 30 miles a week and are still somehow overweight, I'd be shocked. However, I've learned never to say never, so it'll be on your honor.

Tue Oct 25, 04:38:00 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

Oh I have to be overweight to play? I am sure by someone's standards I am overweight. Damn. I want free stuff :/

Tue Oct 25, 06:09:00 PM  
Blogger The Captain said...

Now now, don't try making me feel bad. I'm not pushing anyone to be anorexic just for some free rum and vodka :)

It's more of me trying to encourage people to take responsibility for themselves, and not blame McDonalds or family genes.

Do what you need to do, just don't kill yourself for alcohol..

Tue Oct 25, 07:18:00 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Marci - the first step is replacing that banana with a doughnut. That will get you going on the path to obesity, so that you may then shed those pounds for your free booze that will destroy your liver and kill you. If the dangerous weight gain/loss doesn't do it first.

Tue Oct 25, 08:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why are you so upset? calm down. You gotta let people live their lives whether they are obese or not. There have always been overweight people in the world. In fact if you look back in history being overweight was a sign of wealth. People WANTED to be overweight.

Getting upset because people complain about being overweight is ridiculous. People are always complaining about something. Why does it concern you so much?

If people want to sue McDonald's because they or their child is fat...that is their perogative. Stupid, yes...but their choice. The laws in America allow for people to sue anybody for whatever reason. Ludacris? Yes, but their right as an American.

I am not thin. Do I anger you? Am I disgusting? I workout with a trainer but I do it for me and not for what others may think of me. Should everyone be a size 2 in your eyes? We come in all shapes, sizes, colors, etc. It is not for us to judge others.

Getting all upset and saying that we should show you some progress in our weight loss for a free drink is crazy. You should just focus on yourself. Be healthy and if others don't treat their bodies as well as they should...let them deal with the consequences.

Think about what you complain about or what others may not like about you before you judge. I think people spend way too much time worrying about what others are doing. Bottom line: we only have control over ourselves...we can't try to control others.

Good post, though.

Tue Oct 25, 11:24:00 PM  
Blogger The Captain said...

Chase, I have to say that I do like you, and I almost always agree with what you have to say, but you're seriously mis-reading the meaning of this post.

I'll attempt to address your concerns here. I think you missed the part where I said I have nothing against overweight people. I-66 and I have more than a few friends who qualify as such. I used to myself.

In fact, there are pictures coming out tomorrow that will show (compared to others posted previosuly) that I've put on a little. You can see it in my face. I'm not happy about it and am going to fix it. How you could think I would be angry or disgusted by you is beyond me.

I read your blog, and remember you saying you were losing weight for your high school reunion. I say, good for you. That alone is a good indicator that I would like you, because you're doing something instead of blaming someone else.

The drinks thing was just thrown in there, and it's not meant for anyone to answer to me. It's simply me being happy for them, and giving them a pat on the back....with lower calorie alcohol.

Fear not though, people do not upset me because of what they look like, only when they won't take responsibility. More people need to look in the mirror and say "It's on me." "It's on me" should be the new slogan of this country, instead of "Did someone say McDonald's."

Oh and lastly, your whole "That's our rights as Americans" thing is a whole new can of worms, because as much as I love America and the freedom it guarantees, I don't think anyone should have the right to be so ignorant that they would clog up our court system with this mess. Here is a sampling of how a good courtroom should be run...

Plaintiff: I'm suing McDonalds for thousands of dollars because my child is fat.

Judge: On what basis?

Plantiff: On the basis that there's no nutritional information, and despite the fact that the food is obviously cooked in grease/lard and is termed "Fast Food."

Judge: So basically, you were too lazy to cook healthy snacks and meals for your child. Additionally, you paid for the child to eat McDonalds daily. And now because of your stupidity, you want to sue a successful corporation. A corporation that got successful, I might add, because of people like you.

Plantiff: Well um...yeah basically, and because I want to get enough cash off of them to not work anymore, despite the fact that I've shortened my child's lifespan by at least ten years.

Judge: That settles it. This court could have been prosecuting a murderer, a rapist, or a drug dealer, but instead had to waste it's time on you. You are hereby sentenced to Idiot Jail for one week. A separate jail from regular felons, just for people like you.

Now Chase, you may not agree with it, and the court scene may have been a bit much, but the point it, I just want people to take more responsibility for themselves. This country has gotten away from that, and it's a shame. I await your scathing reply.

Wed Oct 26, 03:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get what you are saying. I don't necessarily disagree with your comments. I was just stating my opinion. I totally get what you are saying, though.

Wed Oct 26, 06:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home