Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Feeling nostalgic

DC United embark on another playoff journey beginning with Friday night and a game at Chicago Fire. It's a home/away series that will conclude next Sunday at RFK Stadium with the winner being decided on aggregate goals. In anticipation of the MLS Playoffs I searched for and found highlights of perhaps the Greatest MLS Game Ever Played: 2004 Eastern Conference Final - DC United v. New England Revolution. I should know. I was there.

Phil from Playaz Ball asked recently [paraphrasing] whether people were actually attending MLS games. If you have 7 minutes to spare and don't mind watching a little soccer I encourage you to view the following - it will really show you what a big time atmosphere there was at RFK. Listen to the crowd explode with each goal and watch the reactions (particularly the crowd behind the goal with the toilet paper and confetti). This is why I love these games...

DC United struck first, followed by New England... and back and forth 2 more times until the game was tied at 3-3 at the end of 90 minutes... click here to see all 6 goals. should open windows media player

After 90 minutes there were 2 15-minute periods of extra time (overtime) with no goals scored. That led to a penalty kick shootout. Brian Carroll (incidentally a player I very much dislike) ended up scoring the difference-maker for United, but goalkeeper Nick Rimando had to keep New England out to seal the win... click here to see Brian Carroll's penalty and then Nick Rimando's game-winning save. ditto media player

6 Comments:

Blogger DC Cookie said...

Note to self - next season, attend DC United game. I hear it's really entertaining...

Wed Oct 19, 03:41:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

there's still time this year!

Wed Oct 19, 03:51:00 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

I would gather that attending a soccer match could be a very experience to attending a hockey game (for me, personally).

Example: I don't give two rips about hockey. Never watch it on tv, don't keep up with players, couldn't really tell you the rules. However, every time I've been to a Thrashers game, it's been great. The action is great, atmosphere, everything.

I'm not even sure Atlanta has a soccer team.

Thu Oct 20, 01:18:00 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

(insert "similar" in between "very" and "experience") Thank you.

Thu Oct 20, 01:19:00 AM  
Blogger I-66 said...

Atlanta has the USL (United Soccer Leagues) 1st Division Atlanta Silverbacks... not near the MLS level in terms of quality or crowd.

Thu Oct 20, 05:35:00 PM  
Blogger DCSportsChick said...

Good post, I-66; captures the whole soccer experience very well.

Thu Oct 20, 10:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home