Friday, August 05, 2005

On the Shelf

*Note "Pictures currently removed due to server issues"

Before we get to the main topic of this post, let's throw a few more links up. Kathryn and the Two Girls in DC have turned over the coveted "new blog" designation to three new links.

First, we must highlight a true new kid on the block, the DC Sports Chick. Hopefully, she will uphold the high standard we've brought to sports blogging, which of course means that only half the postings need to be about sports. An enthusiatic welcome.

Secondly, we call attention to Phil, who runs the Playaz Ball. Phil is friggin hilarious, plus he's given us the word "asscorn," for which he will be remembered forever. His link is under the "Out of Towners" section, as I believe he is based in the South somewhere.

Since we have added what we see as a potential Costello to our Abbott, a Sonny to our Michael, a Fonz to our Richie Cunningham in the Sports Chick, we shall also be adding the Yin to the CPMC's Yang, (as described on another website, I didn't make that description up) the DC Bachelor. Often controversial, never boring, his site is well worth the read. Welcome all, to the DC Sports Links.

Now on to the main point of the post...

Of all the things that can derail a sports team, injuries are by far the worst. Last week, tragedy struck our soccer team, as both myself and I-66 were struck down. The damage is as follows.


I-66 fractured a bone in his foot, he's out 4-6 weeks. He wouldn't let us take a picture of him on his crutches, but we took one anyway when he wasn't looking. Unfortunately, it didn't come out well.


The backstory on this is ironic. I had injured my right knee playing a tournament over the weekend, and couldn't run. Unfortunately, we had a player ejectd, and I-66 went down, so I hobbled onto the field. Then, my other knee, which was perfectly healthy, had an unfortunate encounter with a rock while I was playing defense.


Yeah, it bled a lot, my leg wound up looking like this three separate times throughout the night.


Of course, I decided to do the "typical man thing" as my girlfriend says, and fix it myself. Peroxide, sports cream and band-aids. Didn't work as well as I'd hoped. The upper-left part of this wound is fairly cosmetic. The long streak from the upper right to the lower middle could best be described as a trench.


The bloody aftermath...


Man, did I ever get a lecture from the E.R. doctor the next morning. Apparently, I should have come in for stitches the night before, instead of waiting. My two choices were to have some skin ripped off so they could do correct stitching, or to take option B, which included antibiotics, bandages, and a tetanus shot in the arm. Also, I'm not allowed on a soccer field for 1-2 weeks either.

7 Comments:

Blogger DCSportsChick said...

You guys rock :-) Thanks!

Those pics are just plain nasty- but what a typical guy thing to do. You know it's true.

Fri Aug 05, 12:52:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

Dude... perhaps we should post a blood-related disclaimer up there? I'm eating here.

Fri Aug 05, 01:13:00 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

EW!!! Ditto

Fri Aug 05, 01:25:00 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Thanks, guys.

I hate soccer, though. Your post explains why. I don't want to play any sport where people are allowed to kick at my lower extremities.

Fri Aug 05, 01:53:00 PM  
Blogger The Captain said...

Sports Chick and Phil, no problem. You're both welcome additions to our little section of the world.

Okay, here's my disclaimer. "There's blood in the pictures in this post, you sissies :)"

Fri Aug 05, 05:01:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

Dutchess the help I request is in acquiring refrigerated beverages which are downstairs from my room.

Fri Aug 05, 07:03:00 PM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

Now that's a Kodak moment I'm glad I wasn't a part of!

Sat Aug 06, 12:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home