Monday, August 08, 2005

Great weekend

Another weekend come and gone, five days of work to look forward to.

Friday night was fantastic, even though the original plan (Uptown, Spices, after dinner drinks) got thrown out the window. Since my girlfriend had to catch her train out of Pittsburgh at 4:30 a.m., she was understandably lacking energy, even with a three hour afternoon nap. Also, we found out the Uptown was showing a penguin documentary a few days ago, so that was nixed.

Instead, we went straight to Spices, recommended by The Chef and MPL of CPMC. (Was that enough acronymns for you?) Anyway, it was fantastic. Since most of my time in Cleveland Park is spent in Nanny O'Briens or the Four P's, their advice was invaluable. We both had a wonderful dinner, and saw a number of other restaurants we'll eventually try. Thanks again. Our night ended after that however, as I practically had to carry my girlfriend back to the Metro. No Nanny's, no four P's, no Aroma, no drinks.

Saturday was the fourth wedding I've been to this summer. It was enjoyable, but it was outdoors, and Saturday was a bitch. A few beers helped cool me off (open bar? CHECK!) but we were made to stand during the ceremony, the lady doing the service was terrible, and after a few hours, we were drained. We got out of there before the bouquet toss. Let me tell you, the highlight was the hors d'oeuvres. Potatos with pesto sour cream and spanakopita pastries. We stayed in and watched Troy saturday night, which isn't a bad film. It tries to be an epic, but I'm pretty much going to compare any epic I watch to Braveheart, and it wasn't even close. Plus which, it was hard to really root for Achilles (Brad Pitt) since his character was entirely driven by ego. Plus, he killed the only really likeable main character in the movie, Hector. (Eric Bana) And Orlando Bloom's character was such a sissy. On the plus side, the movie had Peter O'Toole, and anyone who's seen Lawrence of Arabia can appreciate him.

Sunday was a lazy day until it was time to take her back to Union Station, which is when the shit hit the fan. We were coming in on the Orange Line, and were made to leave the train due to an "emergency spanning the next three stops." There was supposed to be shuttle service outside. At this point, her train leaves in about an hour, maybe a little less. We go upstairs, walk through the lines, and are about to hit the escalator out of the station, when another announcement comes over the intercom. Service is restored, everyone can return to the train. We all looked at each other, and then it was a jailbreak back to the train. I feel bad for those who were out of the station and didn't hear.

We got to Union Station with enough time for a quick kiss goodbye so she could run to make her train. Her train of course, was on time, like NO OTHER TRAIN IN HISTORY EVER IS, BUT THIS ONE WAS! Not a satisfying goodbye since I won't be seeing her till Labor Day.

I had planned to eat dinner with my father and some other people in Georgetown. Being that they were at the Nationals Game (we lost again) they decided to swing by and pick me up, which gave me some time to kill. I figured I'd look for something new to read at the B. Dalton, which was a depressing experience. I enjoy reading as a hobby, though I don't have as much time for it as I'd like. So far, I've only read two books, the new Harry Potter and Moneyball, and parts of the Bible, which is something I've been exploring recently.

I was looking for something inexpensive but worth my time. I thought briefly about the Davinci Code, since I've heard so much about it, but I didn't have enough cash on me. It occurred to me that this is a sad time for literature. All around me, there was crap like The Washingtonienne, or books on Reagan's life, or a biography of Ric Flair, which I briefly considered since I grew up watching him as a kid. I also briefly considered a book on the bloodlines of Jesus, and whether they exist today, but after browsing a few pages, I knew I wouldn't be able to get into it. Like I said before, depressing. Hopefully there's a new great story on the horizon, hopefully it'll be written by me. I'll take book recommemndations from the gallery. Just no beach reading crap, and nothing formulaic. Time it was written doesn't matter, I'll consider older things as well. I'd prefer it to be in Modern English, I still have nightmares of struggling through Canterbury Tales in high school.

I have been a writer on and off since I was a kid, and let me tell you, I'd kill to be in John Grisham's place. Take a protagonist, put him in a legal situation, add an antagonist (or evil unseen coverup) and add in some legal filler. Instant #1 bestseller based on his name, sit back and collect the paychecks. You've read one Grisham, you've read them all.

Alright, off the soapbox. I got picked up, and we had time to kill, so we took my Dad's fiance's father (a WW2 vet) to the WW2 memorial, none of us had been yet. It was moving, but I was infuriated by George W. Bush having his name engraved on the wall. I don't care if he served in the Air National Guard or not, the man shouldn't be associated with the heroes of WW2 in any way, shape or form.

The restaurant was great, I recommend it. It was called "The Old Europe" and it's on Wisconsin Ave. in Georgetown. German restaurant, very filling. I had a meat platter featuring five different meats (not sure what they all were) along with potatos and mushrooms. My appetizer was a Ghoulash soup which was too salty. Apple Strudel for dessert, and a few house beers (Koelsch, I believe) finished off the night.

Got to get ready for five more days of work, so I'm hitting the sack. Hope everyone had as good a weekend as I did, and is ready to face the week.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Captain said...

Two musical things related to yesterday which I forgot. During our walk to the WW2 memorial, we passed a Jamaican festival, which sounded awesome.

Secondly, the restaurant last night had an old, blind lady playing the piano, and she was fantastic. She was playing showtunes from The Sound of Music, Porgy and Bess, and West Side Story all night. Wonderful voice, definitely added an extra element to the night.

Again, go try Old Europe up on Wisconsin Ave. if you've never been.

Mon Aug 08, 06:54:00 PM  
Blogger truk said...

Glad we could help, maybe we can meet up next time. As for we were out of town.

Mon Aug 08, 07:02:00 PM  
Blogger DCSportsChick said...

Old Europe rocks. We go there every time my friend feels like practicing her German. In fact, that's where we had her bachelorette party per her request (hey, watching her suck down those huge beers were totally worth it).

Wed Aug 10, 11:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home