Sunday, August 28, 2005

For my father

Of the many blessings I've had in life, a wonderful father I count among the most important. Whether I was willing to accept it, whether I fought it, he has always been there with advice, support, and an occasional slap upside the head when it was necessary.

My parents divorced when I was nine. I know it hurt my father, but he was strong for me through it all. He continued to be a coach, a teacher, a rock, and a friend. I can't thank him enough.

My father has met a wonderful woman, Diane. After 14 years, he will be getting remarried this weekend at our family reunion in Pennsylvania. I couldn't be happier for him.

This last Friday, my father, myself, his brother Jeff and five friends went to Carlyle Grand restaurant in Shirlington, to celebrate his new marriage with a bachelor dinner. It was one of the best dinners I have had in a long time, made tastier by the impending event. Here's my rundown:

Appetizers:
1 Tex-Mex Eggroll (taken from someone else)
1 bowl of Lobster Bisque
1 glass of the House Lager

Dinner:
1 5oz. Filet Mignon - medium
1 Jumbo Lump Crabcake
Asparagus and Au Gratin potatoes
1 Vodka with Cranberry Juice

Dessert:
House Dessert - Chocolate Waffle w/ vanilla ice cream
1 scotch

You can see why I haven't eaten much in the past 24 hours since. I'm sure I'll be going back to this place again. Anyway, here are some pictures from the night, there will be more from the wedding sometime next week.


The whole group, from left to right: Uncle Jeff, my father, The Captain, and a large group of friends. Turns out the man in the yellow shirt is now officially the dirtiest old man I know, but we'll save that for another time.


Uncle Jeff and my father. Can you tell they're brothers? They're also the two youngest of seven children.


Dave and John, two friends of my fathers. They're all baseball umpires, a common bond of many of the men that were in attendance.


Bill looking sophisticated drinking his wine. On the right is Tony, who was the groom at the last wedding, #4 that I attended this summer.


The Captain with his father. Luckily, the receding hairline gene has skipped me, at least for the time being. I thought this one came out fantastic.

That's really all. On September 4th, his birthday, my father will enter married life once more. I love you Dad, I wouldn't be nearly the man I am without you.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Wonderful tribute and a great attitude you have chosen to have amid what could be some pretty trying times. I commend you. I lost my father on January 8 of this year (my second son's 3rd birthday was that day as well) and rarely a day passes when I don't think of the legacy he has left behind as a man, a father, an example, and a friend.

Kudos to you and your dad!!

Sun Aug 28, 06:44:00 AM  
Blogger A Unique Alias said...

Great read . . . you've got me all nostalgiac now. Congratulations on your father's good fortune :-)

Sun Aug 28, 05:13:00 PM  
Blogger DCSportsChick said...

Aw, how sweet!!!

Sept. 4 is a great day for anniversaries- best of luck to your dad.

p.s. great writeup on Rick Short :-)

Mon Aug 29, 12:34:00 AM  
Blogger GwenMarieDC said...

Congrats to your dad! And the Carlyle is the perfect place to celebrate. Their Chicken Paillard is divine.

Smooches

Mon Aug 29, 01:21:00 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Mon Aug 29, 02:15:00 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Why don't these things have an "edit" feature??

I guess that's what proofreading is for...

Anyway, I wanted to say how your Uncle looks amazingly similar to a young Donald Pleasance, and also that I enjoyed your blog. My wife's folks divorced a long time ago, and she has not enjoyed a good relationship with her dad as a result. You are a lucky man, Cap.

Mon Aug 29, 02:19:00 PM  
Blogger The Captain said...

Thanks for the kind words all. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully, I'll have pictures up next week of all five weddings I went to this summer. One big post.

Mon Aug 29, 10:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home