Monday, August 29, 2005

Alpha Soccer Omega

I love my fellow soccer players. I’m not saying that this is restricted only to footballers as a group, but I feel like we’re a closely-knit fraternity. I really haven’t come around to noticing this until now, since I’ve been hurt and on the sidelines (ironic, that I’d notice something about soccer players when I’m not actually on the field). When I walk around the supermarket or CVS or around the building here at work, very rarely do I get a random person asking me what happened or how it happened or anything about my obviously-injured foot. But when I’m at the field, players I’ve never met before will ask, “what happened to you?”… “how long are you out?”…”who’s your doctor?” And then I get, ”you should consider [suggested doctor here]”…”get well soon”…”take care of yourself.” Did I mention that many of these conversations happen with players I’ve never met? Now, this isn’t to say that soccer players are the only concerned parties, but I’m absolutely appreciative of the collective concern expressed by the group of them. Even a couple of people that have spoken to me about my foot outside of soccer situations have turned out to actually be soccer players that suffered similar injuries.

I’m sure there are others of you who experience the same sort of camaraderie in your hobby of choice - common interest is a bond easily discovered and opens doors to all kinds of things. While it’s unfortunate that it took getting hurt to see it for what it is, I’m glad to have so many wonderful soccer fraternity brothers and sisters out there.

5 Comments:

Blogger kob said...

great post

Mon Aug 29, 08:33:00 PM  
Blogger RHB said...

Seeing "one of our own" not being able to play either brings back memories of when we were hurt or conjures up thoughts of what could happen. Everyone in the soccer community is a close knit group. I think more so than other sports. Soccer players take care of their own.

-The Ref

Tue Aug 30, 02:55:00 PM  
Blogger Joy said...

I hear ya. As a soccer player, and one that tore a couple of ankle ligaments, the concern of fellow soccer players and especially my team is touching.

Thu Sep 08, 09:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Kainito said...

I think getting Ghosts good information ผีดุ on the site is a great benefit to be able to continue.

Wed Apr 10, 09:37:00 AM  
Anonymous sbobet ทางเข้า said...

We are very good at getting to know sbobet thai all of you, making new friends.

Thu Apr 11, 09:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home