Tuesday, September 19, 2006

An Open Letter To Redskins Fans

Dear Redskins Fan,

Come away from the ledge. Put away your noose. Take the gun barrel out of your mouth. This is not the end of the world.

Yes, John Hall missed the game-tying field goal against Minnesota on a night where the offense had problems moving the ball inside the opposition's 20. Yes, Rock Cartwright's kickoff return was the majority of the offense on Monday night. Yes, the team is 0-2. But in case you haven't noticed, all of the other teams in our division are 1-1. We are only a game behind.

You have to realize that the Al Saunders offense is not easily learned. When Saunders was calling the plays for one of the league's best offenses (the Chiefs from 2001-2005), he had Trent Green at the helm. In his first year in the system, Green threw for over 3700 yards, but also 17 touchdowns to 24 interceptions. The next season, he threw for 26 TDs and 13 INTs. You don't just drop into this new offense and immediately start to perform. Also realize that to this point the Redskins have been playing without a healthy Clinton Portis and defenses don't have a reason to respect the run. We would all like Mark Brunell to be relied upon more to manage games than to win them, and until the running game is full strength (Portis says he'll be back this Sunday), we won't have that.

Speaking of this Sunday, we're playing winless Houston. They looked good in their first drive against Philadelphia but looked pretty bad after that, and most of their offensive success against Indianapolis came with the game well out of hand. This is a road game which we all know is no easy thing in the NFL, but it is still winnable nonetheless. With Dallas on a bye week (someone please explain why not just send each individual division on a bye for each bye week so as to avoid situations where Dallas, an NFC East team, is on a bye week with Kansas City, Oakland, and San Diego, all from the AFC West), New York travelling to unimpressive Seattle, and Philadelphia at San Francisco, it is important that the Redskins get a win at Houston to keep pace with a division that could have two 2-1 teams in it on Monday.

Look at the teams who are supposed to be playoff teams who are 0-2: Miami, Carolina, and Tampa Bay - and Carolina was picked by many to get to the Super Bowl. If we can pick up a win on Sunday we're still in the thick of it despite potentially being 1-2. We may be 0-2, but there's no reason to panic yet.

Yours in Burgundy and Gold,
I-66

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone should do this public service for Lions fans, because I am ready to shoot myself.

At least you have won a Super Bowl. We've only ever won one playoff game.

Wed Sep 20, 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger GwenMarieDC said...

I have a very nice blue and silver gun though...should you decide to get crazy! Last year's sweep was a fluke!

Miss me doll? ;)

Wed Sep 20, 06:11:00 PM  
Blogger Beakerz said...

main problem with what you've written about trent green learning the system, etc etc......Our QB is half-dead.

You really want Him learning the system? Jason better be reading his Azz Off!

Thu Sep 21, 12:27:00 AM  
Blogger I-66 said...

Matt: I'm sympathetic towards Lions fans. It is obvious that Matt Millen is the problem. If someone can find a way to get him out of there, I think your team has a future.

pretty in pink: Monday night last year might have been a fluke, but 35-7 later that season was an ass kicking. Keep your gun, thanks.

And no, I don't actually.

B: I think Gibbs is going to stick to his guns for the immediate future. Jason Campbell has a lot to show me, regardless of whether it's this year or next. Either way, I think this has got to be Mark Brunell's final season here.

Thu Sep 21, 12:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I-66, Listen bro, I have been a Skin's fan forever and no matter what I will remian a die hard fan but you have to be realistic and admit that most of the personel can't start anywhere else in the NFL including the trigger man Mark Brunell. I don't care what kind of offensive master mind they have as a play caller they still need to have the right players to execute the calls . I was there at the opener at FedEx and I don't need to tell you that they sucked and not only that, they made the old horse Brad Johnson look like Joe Montana and the game shouldn't have to come up to that missed field goal for an escape goat, the problem they have is much deeper than a field goal kicker. I hope they will throw in Campbell in there soon because they have nothing to loose, my prediction is they will be a 6-10 team either way so as might as well let his feet get wet for next season. I am not trying to be an ass but the NFC east is a tough division to play catch up.
But I shall remian burgundy and gold forever. By the way I like the shit you write, good work.

Mad Cabbie.

Thu Sep 21, 10:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I-66, Listen bro, I have been a Skin's fan forever and no matter what I will remian a die hard fan but you have to be realistic and admit that most of the personel can't start anywhere else in the NFL including the trigger man Mark Brunell. I don't care what kind of offensive master mind they have as a play caller they still need to have the right players to execute the calls . I was there at the opener at FedEx and I don't need to tell you that they sucked and not only that, they made the old horse Brad Johnson look like Joe Montana and the game shouldn't have to come up to that missed field goal for an escape goat, the problem they have is much deeper than a field goal kicker. I hope they will throw in Campbell in there soon because they have nothing to loose, my prediction is they will be a 6-10 team either way so as might as well let his feet get wet for next season. I am not trying to be an ass but the NFC east is a tough division to play catch up.
But I shall remian burgundy and gold forever. By the way I like the shit you write, good work.

Mad Cabbie.

Thu Sep 21, 10:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for the double post man, I don't what happened!

Thu Sep 21, 10:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now is the time for Jason to start. The redskins are out of the playoff picture, they need to start planning for the furture.

Mon Nov 13, 02:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home