Friday, September 30, 2005

Week 4: Wandering and Wondering

Whew. These opening 3 weeks have been rough. Observe the following strange developments:

  • The entire NFC East is over .500
  • Miami is 2-1
  • Cleveland beat Green Bay at Lambeau
  • Indianapolis is 3-0 with Peyton Manning throwing 2 TDs and 2 INTs
  • Kerry Collins has thrown zero interceptions
  • San Francisco won a game
  • Green Bay hasn’t
  • Vinny Testaverde is on an NFL roster

And I apparently have no idea what’s going on, as I have yet to crack .500 with my picks in any given week. Yet.

Week 4:

Texans at Bengals (-9½)
I must be hallucinating. Bengals giving almost 10 at home? I don’t care who it’s against, that’s huge… Pick: Bengals

Colts (-7) at Titans
Paging Peyton Manning… Peyton? Has anyone seen Peyton?... Pick: Colts

Chargers at Patriots (-5½)
So let me get this straight… Pats give points to Carolina, I pick them, they lose. Hoping it’s a trend, I pick them the next week, getting points at Pittsburgh, they win. So now they’re giving points again – maybe that’s what it is… Pick: Patriots

Bills at Saints (pick ‘em)
I think no team is ever “at” the Saints this season so…

Bills v. Saints (pick ‘em)
Ahhh… that’s better. At this rate, PJ Losman’s going to throw for negative passing yards in a game by week 7… Pick: Saints

Rams at Giants (-3)
Unbelievable that I’m doing this… Pick: Giants

Lions at Buccaneers (-6½)
When Joey Harrington plays as the Lions on Madden ’06, he releases himself and plays as Jeff Garcia… Pick: Buccaneers

Seahawks at Redskins (-1½)
How old is Matt Hasselbeck? Soooo where’d all his hair go?... Pick: Redskins

Broncos at Jaguars (-4)
Somebody please explain to me how Jake Plummer is an NFL quarterback… Pick: Jaguars

Jets at Ravens (-7)
Anthony Wright v. Brooks Bollinger? There my not be 7 points total scored in this one… Pick: Ravens

Vikings at Falcons (-6)
He’s baaaaack… Pick: Vikings

Eagles at Chiefs (no line)
No line? What, was this one too easy for Vegas or something?... Pick: Eagles

Cowboys at Raiders (-3½)
If I told you that the Raiders would have as many wins as Kerry Collins INT’s in week 3, you’d probably wonder how they managed to win 7 games in 3 weeks... Pick: Raiders

49ers at Cardinals (-2½)
So who gets home field advantage when the game’s in Mexico City? Shouldn’t the Cards be irate about this? Oh, wait… they don’t have HFA at their OWN place… Pick: 49ers

Packers at Panthers (-7½)
Stephen Davis and DeShaun Foster are fighting each other for carries against this defense… Pick: Panthers

Last Week: 6-8
Season: 18-27-1

11 Comments:

Blogger GwenMarieDC said...

Will you ever pick against the skins? Just wondering.

Smooches

Fri Sep 30, 02:24:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

I have in the past. The spread is the key... I may still think a team will win, but if I don't think it will cover the spread I'll pick the underdog.

Fri Sep 30, 02:31:00 PM  
Blogger GwenMarieDC said...

Yeah I don't get the spread...at least in the football sense...

Fri Sep 30, 02:37:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

The spread is for betting purposes (though I only use it recreationally). In this instance let's take the first game on the post:

Texans at Bengals (-9½)

The terminology used here is that the Bengals are "giving" 9½ points to the Texans. By picking the Bengals I'm saying that they're going to win by 9½ or more. I'd pick Houston if I thought they'd either win outright, or lose by less than 9½. Dig? Hope this helps.

Fri Sep 30, 02:46:00 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

This will be your first week at .500 - you got the picks right except for the following (who will all come out with "outright wins"):

Seahawks over 'skins (3-0 just ain't happening).

Cheifs over Eagles (What's that about field position? Lets see what the new kicker does).

Falcons over Vikings (You can't stop The Vick with an infant D).

Cardinals over 49ers (they gotta win at some point, right?)

Chargers over Pats (Unless of course they get another extra 52 seconds to pull this one out).

Bills over Saints (because I say so?)

Congrats on your 7-7 week.

Fri Sep 30, 03:09:00 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Sorry, I'm bad at math. I meant your first week OVER .500

Congrats on 8-6

Fri Sep 30, 03:11:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

I hope the Patriots lose every game the rest of the year. I'm trying to find a developing trend that allows that to happen. If I have to miss every game that they play and they go 2-14 that will make me happy.

I want the Cards to do well but their O has looked awful this year.

The Chiefs got torched by the Broncos last week. Their defense has shown vulnerabilities now.

Bills and Saints was one I went back and forth on - I wouldn't be surprised to see Buffalo circle the wagons for this one.

Fri Sep 30, 03:21:00 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Vikings game makes me nervous. I definitely hate to see Culpepper finding his rhythym (how the hell do you spell that?) right now.

I still think we'll win, but may not cover the spread.

Fri Sep 30, 05:21:00 PM  
Blogger Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

bet the bank on the 'Skins and take the over (is it 36?)

Fri Sep 30, 05:42:00 PM  
Blogger The Captain said...

Catciao, did you just say to bet the over on 36 points combined for the Redskins-Seahawks? Are you feeling well?

Fri Sep 30, 08:53:00 PM  
Blogger Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

Yes, I did. :D

Sun Oct 02, 10:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home