Wednesday, August 17, 2005

The Captain's usual disjointed thoughts

First off, let's welcome four, count em, four new blog links to the pages of D.C. Sports. The Playaz Ball, D.C. Bachelor and The D.C. Sports Chick all lose the coveted "New Blog" link for the four newest flavors gracing our pages. First, we welcome Travis of "Throwing Hammers" and the D.C. Pussycat Doll, fellow bloggers we met at the last Happy Hour. Secondly, we welcome two blogs whose members have made their presence known in our comments section, the D.C. Drama Grrls (don't get me started on the multiple R's) and Painting D.C. Pink, one of whose members has something going with I-66 that I'm not aware of.

Remember, blogs have a good shot of getting on here if you recommend them and we get a chance to check them out.

McLean Little League Softball goes for it all tomorrow night.

I-66, Deep Cover and myself have received invitations to the 50th anniversary gala for our high school. 50 years old. The 40th one went on while we were in school, this seems like it might be interesting. God knows we've seen basically zero people from our graduating class since...well, graduation. And of course, it's always good to go back and find out which asshole jock (we were jocks, but not assholes) is unemployed and which snotty hot cheerleader got fat and knocked up in college. Not bitter, just amused at the prospect.

Our cable modem is going in and out, and it's pissing me off. It went out while I was playing a poker tournament tonight, and I was one of the last two players. Definitely finished in second, cost me four bills.

Man, I've been through hell the past three weeks. First my knee, which I shared with you all...I share because I love. Then a bout with food poisoning this past weekend, I lost ten pounds in two days and drank nothing but Gatorade. No food. No worries though, I gained it all back on a diet of Pho (Vietnamese Soup) sushi and Subway. Of course, during the sushi dinner last night, I found out some disturbing news. My father had gone into the hospital with chest pain while I was in college, he had angina. Of course, he downplayed it, and he did come through fine. He's been in four times total, either for check-ups or a stent replacement. Of course, what he didn't tell me was he had the chest pain for two weeks before he went in, and that when he finally did, one of his arteries was 97% blocked and he would have died soon. His fiance (a retired nurse) finally made him own up to it. If anyone wondered why I tried to patch up the trench in my knee with peroxide and band-aids, I got it from him. Jerk.

If I see another person using one of those luggage carriers on wheels to carry a single backpack, and their just doing it moving around the office, I think I'm going to stab them with my mouse.

I'm about a week away from returning to game action, I-66 is healing fast and only has about three weeks to go. He's also traded in his crutches for a sexy walking boot.

Is it bad to tell a female co-worker (with an attitude) that if we had office karaoke, I could definitely see her singing "These boots were made for walking?" Is that really so bad? On a completely unrelated item, I can't open my left eye.

So lastly, allow me to tell you what kind of friends I have. Many of you know I've been seeing the same girl for two and a half years. We met towards the tail end of my college career, I really thought it had no future since she was a few years behind. Lo and behold, the distance thing has worked. She graduates in December (technically May, but done with classes December) and she's made no secret of her future desires. So exactly how do I defend myself when my friends make "When's the engagement happening" and wedding jokes? I'm probably looking for guy advice here, I get the feeling they'll understand more than women in this situation. And before you ladies get on my case about this, the answers are, in no particualr order, yes I love her, yes I want the same thing, though on a slightly slower timetable, and yes, I'm sure. The answer is probably yes to variations of those questions as well, except for "Do I have the money."

Discuss

2 Comments:

Blogger Hammer said...

Make it very clear to the lady that a ring is where you see it going, but then give yourselves 6-8 months of being in the same city without the added stress of long distance or school. (This means somebody has to move - maybe even you.) Put an extra effort into building up a lot of good memories and experiences during this window, and THEN bust out the ring. Because once that thing is out, the barrage of wedding questions and planning tasks will come hard, fast and constant, and it will take a toll on both of you, and it will be harder to find time to spend time together that doesn't involve wedding stuff and/or other people. Think of it as a multi-month pre-engagement honeymoon where the two of you can just focus on the two of you and nothing else.

And for all the people that keep nagging you about the ring, there are a million different Miss Manners scripts you can bust out. I'll defer to others on that.

But give yourself some no-distance & no-school time with the lady. You'll be glad you did and you'll need this when things get hectic & stressful later. (Ever taken a real close look at grooms at weddings? Sure they look a little nervous, but mostly they look tired.) Don't rush it, but DO NOT drag your feet either. If there's anything my under-30 guy friends are notorious for, it's dragging their feet when they already know what they want to do and should do.

[sage wisdom mode switched off...]

Oh, and thanks for the blog props. This is even better than the time back in high school when I was employee of the month at Sbarro.

Thu Aug 18, 02:46:00 PM  
Blogger DCSportsChick said...

Here's the married woman's perspective: there's absolutely no reason to rush into things. Slower timelines are a good thing. Fred and I were together for over 3 years before getting engaged; keep in mind that we were older than y'all and our peers were all getting engaged after a year. So 3 years actually seemed longer, which worked out well for us.

Travis is right about the no-distance and no-school time. And really, money is not a big issue when it comes to the ring. No need to get something you can't afford- that's not the way to start a marriage. If she really loves you, it's about you, not the ring. She'd love it even if you gave her a Chee-to. (as long as you gave her some sort of a real ring eventually, of course.)

I guess this is the female perspective coming in, so I don't understand the guy thing, but guys who make jokes about "when's the wedding?" when they know the situation are clueless, jealous, or have a lame sense of humor. What you should really worry about is how you're going to deal with such questions from her, especially if you're on different timelines.

Good luck!

Thu Aug 18, 02:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home