Friday, August 12, 2005

Happy Hour Recap

Last night The Captain and I went to the Happy Hour at Mr. Smith’s in Georgetown. The parking spot we obtained must have been an omen for how the evening would go – we were less than 50 yards from the bar. On crutches this is a good thing. We got there and wandered inside after an unaware Eastern European guy nearly took me out by stepping backwards into my path. I should have given him a yellow card. Why were you standing in the doorway without going inside to begin with? Anyways… we get in and walk slowly through, in search of people we’d recognize from pictures. We were recognized first (crutches, dead giveaway) and Happy Hour had officially begun.

Kathryn graciously fulfilled her role as Social Chair. Now, while I’m not precisely sure what is in the job description, I’m pretty sure handshake introductions and point-out introductions are included therein. Something I learned very quickly: I prefer “Hi I’m (my name here), better known as I-66, nice to meet you” (or variants) over “Hi, I’m I-66…”

Memorable Moments:

- The Captain buying a shot of Jager and offering it to DC Cookie while asking, “So, what do you do?” Absolutely classic. Made even better by the fact that these were the first words he spoke to her. High marks for that one.
- Yours truly belting out Hotel California while some Louis Armstrong sound-alike was wailing on the piano.
- The Captain lamenting said sound-alike playing The Beatles music.
- Texas Cutie making a reflex kick-save when one of my crutches fell while I was trying to take a picture – never touched the ground.

Abbreviated list of attendees and what I probably would’ve written in a notebook about them… yanno, if I had a notebook and legible handwriting:

- Kathryn: Wondrous host and gracious recipient of the drink I owed. Enjoyably bubbly. Taller than I imagined. Or maybe I was just shorter than usual? Called me a tadpole. This is acceptable.
- DC Cookie: Certainly did not come across as shy. Easily conversational. I think I made it to the “it’s ok to talk about what we do now” threshold. Might not trust me around an open beverage again.
- Texas Cutie: Crutch saver extraordinaire. Perky and pleasant. Seems to like to dance. Seems to dislike me saying, “you know what they say about peeling the label off of your bottle.”
- The Milkman: Well spoken. Extremely tall. I need to go to the chiropractor. Book/movie/album question made me realize I don’t read enough.
- Travis: I will stay away from Daunte Culpepper. Not a big Mewelde Moore fan. Witty. Must find “Hammerman” merchandise.
- DC Sports Chick: Makes good on exchange. Big fan of floppy Nationals hats. Knows her stuff. Thinks we know ours
- Miss M: Nice but not big into the talking. Maybe we talked too much?
- Webcowgirl: Engaging. Seems relaxed post-vacation. I meant to ask about her dogs. Thinks I’m funny. I think that’s awesome.
- VP of Dior: Didn't stay long. Charming. Could pass as my sister? My birthday’s in November. Just saying.

Apologies to those with whom I only spoke briefly (RCR, V, DCB, Linz, anyone else I can't recall right now.) It’s not you, it’s me. I did enjoy making everyone’s acquaintance.


Texas Cutie, Kathryn, LMR, DC Cookie, Webcowgirl

Texas Cutie, The Captain, I-66, The Milkman

DC Cookie gains control of my camera

DC Cookie and I-66


The Captain and Travis are badasses.. actually, this looks kinda like a good/evil thing with the lighting


Good times, good times. Thanks to Kathryn for being the initiator, we’re glad we made it out. Those who want the (few) pictures I have may e-mail me/us. Looking forward to the next.

***The Captain's Take***

I figured I'd just add on here rather than do a completely new post. I will admit to some trepidation going to this Happy Hour. Aside from losing what little anonimity I had left, I was a little worried about opening every conversation with "So, I write for this blog, which blog is yours?..etc." Also, I was kinda wondering whether we were going to use real names or if I was just going to be "Captain" to everyone.

Regardless, this was very fun and very worth it. Kathryn was a wonderful host. I'm not going to rehash the whole night, I-66 did a fine job of that. Before I get into my own personal boos/cheers, I have to say this. Do Washington bloggers take some kind of growth hormone? Jesus, I've always been the tallest of my group of friends. Holy hell. The Milkman had a good 4-5 inches on me, Travis was looking down, and I was seeing eye to eye with Cookie. Tell me you were wearing heels, Cookie. I think it's time for me to bust out the Bobby Brady "hang from the monkey bars" technique.

Cheers:
DCCookie for being so gracious about my practical joke. I mean, when you complain about being asked what you do, and complain about Jager, you're practically leaving the door open here. Extra cheers for downing the shot.

Kathryn for the hosting, what more can be said. Gracious and charming.

Milkman was a wonderful conversationalist, I had a great discussion with him and Travis about books, movies and music. Also, I noticed that many people were willing to get into sports discussions.

Finally, our female equal, DC Sports Chick, it was fantastic to meet you. Thanks for the free beer, barter is a great basis for an economy. You are wonderfully knowledgeable about sports, both you and Miss M were very pleasant to be around. Wish you hadn't left so soon, especially before the pictures started. The obese Olympics idea is going to become a future post.

I wish I had more time to converse with DC Bachelor, webcowgirl, Texas Cutie, V, Vp of Dior, RCR and all the rest. I'll make a better effort next time, I swear.

Boos:
Jager is $6.50 a shot? Holy shit. Besides the taste, I knew there was a reason I didn't like it.

The music. Sorry, I wasn't digging the guy. And covering the Beatles badly is a good way to drive me to a murder spree.

Taco Bell: We went there afterwards. How is a place out of Lemonade, Fruit Punch and Brisk all at the same time? I don't drink soda, assholes.

Overall, it wasn't a half bad night, modestly speaking. I don't know what happened with the pictures, they look a little grainy, and I didn't think I was THAT much shorter than Travis. I'll definitely be out again, it was great to meet you all.

11 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

Thank you, I-66!!! It was so fun!

I love being social chair. Sigh. Please do send me the photos - I love the one of the ladies! Bloggin' Beauties.

Fri Aug 12, 02:58:00 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

I LOVE me some i-66. HUGS! I trust you around my beverages. I could barely taste the salt you added into it...(especially at that point). Pics are coming, I'm just a little slow this morning.

Fri Aug 12, 03:00:00 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

oh yeah - send pics to dccookie@gmail.com. Thanks!

Fri Aug 12, 03:00:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

What if I said I didn't add anything...

Fri Aug 12, 03:01:00 PM  
Blogger Hammer said...

Canon cameras rule, and I covet your new one. Cool photos, but did you have your camera on the "shrink the Captain down to wee man size" setting on in the last one? Just looks weird.

Excellent to meet y'all!

Fri Aug 12, 03:53:00 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

excellent meeting you! and my birthday bash is this saturday at local 16. i'm just saying...

Fri Aug 12, 03:57:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

VP: dammit.. I suppose I deserved that. Saturday, huh? What time? Is Local 16 crutch-friendly?

Travis: As I recall, The Captain was sitting down... I didn't even have to use the "shrink The Captain" option!

Fri Aug 12, 04:01:00 PM  
Blogger The Captain said...

Hey, nothing shrinks The Captain except cold weather or too much beer!

Oops...looks like I steered this conversation 90 degrees over the line.

Fri Aug 12, 04:07:00 PM  
Blogger vixen said...

oops. i wasn't "game on" last night. normally i compensate by drinking and getting old school wasted. alas, i failed.

lovely meeting you all.
i promise to do shots before the next one so my talkative side comes out. you've been warned.

Fri Aug 12, 04:15:00 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

10 PM y'all. But there are quite a few steps to get up to the rooftop patio, which is probably where i'll be. i don't recall seeing an elevator. maybe you should go and protest and demand gimp access :)

Fri Aug 12, 05:37:00 PM  
Blogger DCSportsChick said...

Thanks for the free hat! I agree, bartering is a great system. We both got something we wanted.

I forgot about the Obese Olympics! Totally a worthwhile idea. And once football season kicks in and the Cowgirls get totally obnoxious, I'm going to post about bandwagon Cowgirl fans (as we discussed).

Fri Aug 12, 08:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home