Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The old Barbershop

In a few hours, my flight for New Mexico leaves. See previous posts for details.

This morning, in the course of tying down loose ends before my trip, I stopped in at the old barbershop for a trim. For a sports fanatic, nothing beats the barbershop. This morning, there were four old men in there (one was the barber) sitting around doing nothing but talking Redskins football. I did what any young sports guy should do, I listened and got involved. Older sports fans are always eager to engage in conversation about the home teams.

In the D.C. blog pages, others have spoken about upscale salons such as The Grooming Lounge, where you get a shave, a massage, and alcohol with your haircut. I say to hell with that, keep your fancy grooming to yourself. Give me the old men at the corner barbershop anyday, a good slice of America.

Oh, one last thing. Being as hard core a Penn State fan as you can be, I was up till 1:00 a.m. watching the Orange Bowl. A fantastic victory. An unfortunate loss of Paul Posluzney, the Butkus and Bednarik award winner this year. That kid has a promising future at the next level, I can only hope the knee injury isn't too serious. So, with that in mind, allow me....

Fight on State
Fight on State
Strike your gait and win

Victory we
Predict for thee
We're ever true to you, dear old white and Blue

Onward State
Onward State
Roar Lions Roar

We'll hit that line roll up the score
Fight on to victory evermore.........

(Extra point is kicked)

Fight on, on, ON ON ON
Fight on, Penn State


P.S. Suck it Bowden!! Joe Paterno is the man.

2 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

I to one of these "sports themed" barbershops last year, and I'm not sure I liked the experience.

The positives: Each chair had it's own TV, tuned to ESPN, and you had your own remote so you could watch whatever you wanted. In the waiting area was a hi-def flat panel TV.

the negatives: The girl cutting my hair felt impelled to talk sports with me. She obviously did not know much about sports, but continued to prattle on as if her manager told her "you MUST talk sports with the customer". ("Randy Moss had a good game last night. He's close to retirement, isn't he? Me: Uhh, no I don't think so. Isn't he in his late 20's?")

At the end of the haircut, you get a massage from one of those massive vibrators. I don't know if this was a positive or negative. I have to admit, I felt a bit uncomfortable when she pulled this behemoth out, yet it felt pretty good.

Thu Jan 05, 02:39:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

...pulled it out of what?


hahaha

Thu Jan 05, 03:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home