Tuesday, August 09, 2005

BOOM!

Men, prepare to pump your fists.

Ladies, prepare to roll your eyes.

Today is the day. Madden 2006 will be in my hot little hands this afternoon.

Every year it seems to me that the game has gotten better. I’m a bit apprehensive about the ease with which the new vision cone (or whatever its called) will be operated. I’ve been wondering when the good good good people at EA Sports were going to come up with a way to make the vision of a quarterback actually have a bearing on his play. To those not familiar with the feature, when your QB drops back to pass he actually has a field of vision (a cone, starting small at his helmet and widening as it goes further from him, as if it were a flashlight. And the cone is pretty true-to-life as Michael Vick's is pretty small, not much unlike his true quarterbacking ability.) in which a receiver must be in order to throw a pass to. Well, ok, not “must”, but you lose accuracy when he’s not in the cone, as if throwing to a target you can’t see. There are other features that have been added but you’ll have to research those yourself, since I don’t want to feel like a commercial.

EA Sports. It’s in the game! (whoops, sorry, there I go again)

Since last year EA Sports has managed to acquire exclusive licensing rights to the NFL, which means that they have carte blanche to use player names and likenesses in their video game.

ESPN NFL 2Kx series? Peace.
Gameday? Adios.
NFL Blitz? Ciao. (Though I actually do enjoy those games… and the makers are releasing “Blitz: The League”, a game much like the Playmakers series on ESPN was. No real players, though)

It’s good to see that the Madden makers are not resting just because of their exclusivity. Hopefully this trend will continue. With no other game makers permitted to use names and likenesses of players, any games they attempt to make will have little to no support (and Gameday sucked anyways).

I don't know many women who play video games, and none who play sports games - especially Madden. But if I meet the woman who can give me a game, I might actually propose on the spot.

Might.

So I’ll be sitting in front of my PS2 playing Madden for a while with my leg elevated – doctor’s orders, yanno. But don’t worry. I don’t play online (else I’d have no social life to speak of) and I will still be showing up here, shattering my anonymity – or, what little I have left.

2 Comments:

Blogger RHB said...

I prefer NCAA, but it's still EA and thus badass

Tue Aug 09, 03:42:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

I really like this year's NCAA. It goes on the shelf for a few days now that Madden's here though.

Tue Aug 09, 04:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home