Monday, June 20, 2005

Holy (Hell) Matrimony

Ah, back in good old Washington D.C. after one of the longer weekends in recent memory.

This weekend, we experienced a milestone of early adulthood, the three of us. The first member of our old high school group got married. So though I felt strangely weird during the entire experience, fun was had, the wedding went off without a hitch, Deep Cover drank himself silly, and we had a pretty good time.

I discovered my golf game needs work. Deep Cover shot a dead even score of 72 the morning of the wedding...over nine holes. I managed a 63, while the father of the groom, who claimed not to have played in 20 years or so, nailed three pars and wound up in the low 50's. This is not to suggest that Deep Cover or I are avid golfers who had a bad morning, far from it. I myself have played 10 times or so, this was Deep Cover's second go-around. Normally, our golfing consists of going to the driving range and trying to aim for things.

Though I personally dislike the movie (and Adam Sandler in general) my golf game can best be described as "Early Happy Gilmore." I can drive the hell out of the ball, my short game leaves a little to be desired. I also have a notoriously bad slicing problem, which resulted in my losing seven balls to the woods/cornfields. Finally, on hole 8, a par-4, 350 or so, I gave up and just aimed left, as if purposely trying to lose my ball in the rough. This worked, as my ball immediately veered back to the right, and landed about twenty yards from the green. Seizing my best chance of the day for a par, I immediately hit two ten yard shots with my wedge, and three putted for a six.

Anyway, the four days off were nice, but it doesn't make dealing with any of these Customs people easier. I also missed the gym all four days, not something I personally am happy with. I think I gained about ten pounds thanks to all the free booze, and the crab meat served in various styles. Man, am I a sucker for crab.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home